Hello readers, Search Engine Optimization is common terms used in Internet world by search engine. Normally from SEO people think it pertains to a website having content, which can be easily detected by search engines, followed by site architecture/ HTML and meta data (including title tags and meta descriptions).
Apart from this an important element which if not given proper attention may result a problem for website is robots.txt. If there is little mistake in implementing in robots.txt file, the search engines will fail to locate your website while searching for any query. In coming paragraphs today our main subject of discussion will be how to properly install robots.txt file so reduce the problems of search engines from searching your website and protecting your business from huge loss due to less traffic.
However before proceeding further for our layman readers let us discuss first what a Robots.txt file does mean. Normally as an internet user whenever you go to domain.com/robots.txt you would have noticed a list with directories of different website which a site owner refuses search engines to skip. Therefore if by mistake while editing robots.txt. file you insert any information in this file it will directly effect to your business. To access more information about robots.txt file you can visit Web Robots Pages that will explain you to make an appropriate use of disallow feature and blocking bad bots. To protect all robots.txt from indexing of your website you should go through the following exercise.
* Disallow: /cgi-bin/
There are certain rules set for robots.txt file which should be followed so as to restrict search engines to index certain directories on website. For robots.txt file you should follow these instructions:
1. Have an access of all directories of your website, especially those directories which you wish that search engines should not consider for indexing. These directories are mainly /cgi-bin/, /wp-admin/, /cart/, /scripts/ and few others which have precise information.
2. Control the search engines from indexing directories which may have copied or duplicate content.
3. Keep in concern that not a single element should stop search engines from indexing the major part of content available on your website.
4. Keep watch on files which you do not want search engines to index in your website.
Besides these precautions you should not do the following steps:
1. Never mention your personal comments on your robots.txt file.
2. Do not list your file robots.txt file. Otherwise it will let others to access those file which you do not prefer that they access to them.
3. The robots.txt file does not have the allow command.
By following the above mentioned instructions am sure you will help search engines in improving rank of your website and protect your website from problems arising due to copied and duplicate content.